Code of Conduct
RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF TRADITIONAL OWNERS & ABORIGINAL COMMUNITIES
Recognise the culture and spiritual attachment Aboriginal people have to their land and water.
- Respect Aboriginal cultural ceremonies. This may mean that a particular area is temporarily closed to access.
- Be courteous to other water users and those who belong to the local Aboriginal community.
- Do not land ashore without first obtaining a separate Aboriginal land permit, from the Northern Land Council.
Respect Sacred Sites
- Do not enter any part of the waters containing identified sacred sites unless specifically permitted to do so by the Northern Land Council.
- Take care when boating to avoid damaging sensitive areas.
Take no more than our immediate needs
- Carefully return excess or unwanted fish into the water using best practice catch and release methods.
Understand and observe all fishing and regulations and report illegal fishing activities
- Keep up-to-date with regulations and observe them. They are based on the best available scientific evidence.
Prevent pollution and protect wildlife by removing rubbish
- Rubbish must be disposed of correctly to avoid potentially entrapping birds and other aquatic creatures.